The forwarding fee includes postage, packaging supplies and handling. This page covers general protocols for postage, handling and packaging:
General Postage Costs
The cost to forward your mail or package is referred to as 'postage' and is determined by the carrier, not Freedom Mailbox. Postage costs vary widely depending on (but not limited to) the carrier, delivery destination, weight, contents, packaging, special delivery instructions, insurance, delivery day of the week, etc..
The most popular and economical way to request you mail be forwarded is USPS First-Class Mail. If you want to track your shipment, we recommend USPS Priority Mail as the next best economical option as that often results in faster delivery over First-Class Mail and also includes a tracking number. If your mail is important and requires overnight delivery, we recommend USPS Priority Express.
By default, the only carrier available for forwarding mail in the Freedom Mailbox® platform is the United States Postal Service. We do this in an effort to guide our customers to the most economical choice for shipments. In you prefer to use another major carrier, we will be happy to accomodate. We are shipping partners with UPS and FedEx and get discount pricing for shipments through these carriers which we gladly pass to you. However, even with the discount, shipping via USPS is usually more economical.
If you prefer to use another carrier, please contact us to arrange it. You are encouraged to research your preferred carrier for estimates on cost, delivery limitations and receiving instructions to see which option is best suited for your needs and budget prior to contacting support.
Express / Overnight Shipments
Express or Overnight shipments have strict drop-off time deadlines, thus no express requests will be processed same day if the request is made after 1pm Pacific. Additionally, all express forwarding requests are only processed Monday-Thursday. Friday processing of express shipments means Saturday delivery, which is not standard for most overnight carriers, thus constitutes special handling as outlined below. As with every forwarding request, we will always make a best effort to process and get your forwarding shipment prepared as quickly as possible.
Handling fees apply to each shipment and are in addition to the cost of postage. Standard handling fees are as follows:
- Domestic USPS First-class with a total weight less than or equal to 13 oz - $3.00
- Domestic USPS Priority Mail fitting into non-padded Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope (12.5" x 9.5") - $3.00
- All other shipments - $5.00
Mail is packaged and forwarded using a variety of envelope sizes. There are weight and size limits for certain types of shipping methods, so Freedom Mailbox staff will make a best effort to fit your forwarding mail into an envelope designed for the least expensive and most efficient way to ship. Freedom Mailbox staff also reserves the right to change the shipping method requested or divide forwarding mail into multiple shipments if the weight and/or size exceeds the limits imposed by the carrier for any particular shipping method.
We ship using premium Kraft paper heavyweight envelopes designed to securely conseal the contents.
- Letter - 6.5" x 9.5" premium envelope. Max weight 15.99 oz. Max thickness 0.75"
- Business - 9" x 12" premium envelope. Max weight 15.99 oz. Max thickness 0.75"
- Oversize - 12" x 15" premium envelope. Max weight 15.99 oz. Max thickness 0.75"
- USPS Priority Mail - Various sized letter envelopes and boxes. Flat rate based on size and reasonably packed.
- FedEx / UPS / USPS Overnight Envelope - 9.5" x 12.5" letter envelope. Used for overnight shipments only. Max weight 8 oz.
- Shipments using existing box or packaging - $5.00
Any mail that doesn't fit into one of the above envelope sizes may require special packaging or may be bumped to another next level service by the carrier. We work to accomodate mail forwarding requests in the most economical way possible, but must abide by the carrier's shipping rules and policies.
Special Packaging and/or Handling
Any shipment requiring custom packaging, special handling or special delivery instruction will incur additional fees based on the requirements needed. Below outlines more common fees for custom packaging and handling:
- Express shipments for Saturday delivery - $10.00
- Packaging dimensions less than 84" (length + 2x width + 2x height) - $10.00
- Packaging dimensions between 85" and 108" (length + 2x width + 2x height) - $15.00
- Packaging dimensions between 109" and 130" (length + 2x width + 2x height) - $25.00
- Packaging contents weighing more than 5 lbs - $10.00
If a shipment matches more than one of the above, the higher handling fee will apply. If your shipment doesn't match any outlined above, a Freedom Mailbox representative may contact you via email or text prior to forwarding to confirm fees and/or options.
All rates posted are subject to change without notice.
Policy last modified on February 19, 2018